Thursday, June 21, 2012

Checking out the Online Inked Community


Before you click on the links it would be beneficial if you were logged into your Facebook account.



There is a whole community of tattoo artist, lovers and getters...so much so that it is somewhat overwhelming; all these people with a common interest. I am intrigued at the thought of so many people coming together with inked bodies and sharing, discussing and designing together. Can it be that simple? Well, yes! All one has to do is look.

In the last week I have sought all the possible tattoo and ink websites, Facebook pages, and magazines...but some, I know, will always elude me. What I have found so far that are active and very popular are Facebook pages and a few magazines. I'll start with the Facebook pages.

When one types the word tattoo in the search bar of Facebook the first thing that comes up (on mine at least) is Tattoos and Tattoo Art. Tattoos and Tattoo Art sells high quality tattoos to tattoo artist on their website. They have millions of designs. So many that I just couldn't look at them all. Most of the ones that I saw were simple little designs similar to the one that I got for my first. For the first Facebook page you come across, they have some great information and photos...but it is all from another source. They have a great hand in advertising for the people they post on their site; such as, Inked Magazine, Inked Girls Magazine, and Suicide Girls (I'll talk about one later). Through them I have been able to connect to other tattoo Facebook pages and discover a new community of tattoo enthusiast like myself.

The second tattoo Facebook page that comes up is Tattoos.... It is basically a wiki page that lists the tattoo as a disease. I have to disagree with this category, as it is not a disease but an art. It is nothing more than an information page that has over three million likes. I think people clicked the like button and went on...just like I did.

When they say that there is an app for that I now believe me there is an app for that. This tattoo Facebook page has an app associated with it, Tatsnaps. I have it, have yet to use it, and think it needs much improvement on the iPhone. It is much better on the computer than on the iPhone as you can only take photos with it and not see others works. The website, being better, because you can browse designs that people have, get fresh ideas, and blog...yes they use blogger that allows you to blog tattoo photos. If you ever used Pinterest then you will have no problem using Tatsnaps.

If you wish to brows all the tattoo pages that Facebook has to offer then just click in the search bar, type in tattoo, and go all the way to the bottom of the popup search scroll down and hit "see more results." Here you can sort by pages, places, people, groups and anything else that Facebook has to offer. I have already clicked "Like" on just about any pages and places that I can.

This last part I want to talk about Inked Magazine. Of course they have a Facebook page. But I find there website just amazing. The articles are amazing for a new tattoo addict like myself. It is easy to navigate and beautiful photos! I am a photo critic so for me to say beautiful photos then GREAT JOB! Well they do have professional photographers so what do you expect. My ONLY big pet peeve with them is: how many times are you going to ask me to subscribe to your website. I think the most annoying thing is to be reading an article and this pop up window comes up and says, "Subscribe" when I have already done that! I know there is probably a way that I can keep those pop ups from coming up (it's probably as simple as logging in) but I don't think about that when I am reading the articles and sharing them on Facebook and being enamored by the photos of the art work. Overall I think this magazine is great and I look forward to subscribing one day to get the real thing in the mail. I know, so old school, but sometimes its nice to get something to read in your hands.

Do you have a favorite Facebook page or website that talks about tattoos? Share it with me! I really want to know!

That’s my blog for the night. I am going to hit up Blu Gorilla this weekend and get some prices and design ideas. I will let everyone know my thoughts on them.



No comments:

Post a Comment