Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Setting a Few Things Straight

So I have been getting some hassle about getting more tattoos, setting up consultations with tattoo artist and checking out places to go. With the assumption that I am going to sit down and get a tattoo right off the bat after the consultations. Ummm NO! First, I don't have the money to get the tattoo I want right now and second, I want to be positive about the design I choose.  I was positive in NOLA that I wanted my zodiac symbol. Now I have to be positive about what I want around it...like mermaids...and I have to be positive about the design.

This is a tattoo that I found an just LOVE
Photo by Tattoo Patrol
There is a reason it is called a consultation. You consult with the artist to see if you 1. like their style, 2. like their personality, and 3. see how clean they are.

I love many different styles of art and an artists style may not be great for the tattoo I am going to them for but may be perfect for another tattoo that I want. I also may not like their style. I have been looking at many portfolios online and see some styles that I like but would not want on my body. I love Japanese art, but I don't think it is something that I would want a tattoo for...that may change in the future.

A tattoo artist and I have to click on some form with personality. If someone is an ass then they don't get my business...if they are a "know it all" tattoo artist then no...I'll go somewhere else. If they try to impose on my ideas of what I want on my body...then "see ya!" If they have no respect for their clients choices...nope not gonna fly with me. I have ideas that I just need help putting on my body...I need people who are willing to work with me.

If they work out of their home I have no problem with that. What I have a problem with is reusing needles, ink, or anything else that will go on my skin. A dirty home...sorry but if you run a business out of your home you should keep it clean for business. And a dirty person...it says a lot when you shower for your client.

A tattoo parlor I am assuming runs their business based on SC guidelines and laws. But I still want to see how clean their business is. I'm don't know everything about getting tattoos but I do know that there is a risk of getting diseases if it is not clean.

I want to meet tattoo artist that are creative, understand that they are putting their works of art on my body and want to sign their work, yes, I said sign...I want my tattoos signed by the artist. Because, 20 years from now when someone comes up to me and asks who did my tattoo I want to be able to tell them.

2 comments:

  1. Some artists won't sign their work while I agree being able to tell them is awesome you might consider intials or something. I'm all for the art have multiple designs myself all of which I rough drew and then took to an artist and had inked. I do recommend finding someone you click with that's very important and as for what nay Sayers think feed them fishheads its your body your canvas and your money. Good luck in your quest for awesome art

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment and encouragement! I would be satisfied with just initials. I can't draw worth anything so I have given up on designing my own tattoo; unless it is a basic geometric design or stick figures. :D

    ReplyDelete